Mount Zion History

 

Among the early pioneers of the Lutheran Church in America was a man by the name of Rev. Lucas Raus.  He arrived at the port of Philadelphia in 1749 and eventually made his way into what is known today as Adams County.  It was here where he founded the Upper Bermudian Church, also known as Ground Oak Church in 1770.

 
Around the year 1868, there emerged from this congregation a group of men and women who was to organize the Mt. Zion congregation in current day Cumberland County.  The earliest church records of Mt. Zion contain baptisms and burials as early as 1868, however the congregation was not organized until February 6, 1869.  There were approximately 85 - 100 members in this first congregation.  By April 23, 1870, a Charter was adopted and entered into the Court of Common Pleas in Carlisle, Pennsylvania on June 14, 1870.  Click the following document to see the list of names who were part of this Charter - pdfMtZionCharterList1870.pdf

The first pastor to serve Mt. Zion, was Rev. Daniel Blackwelder from Concord, North Carolina.  It was during his ministry that Mt. Zion was organized and the first church built.



This early structure was a weather-board building. As was the custom of the early churches, there were two doors - one for male members to enter and one for the female members.

 



In 1895 extensive repairs were made to Mt. Zion under the ministry of Rev. William Grant Slifer.  The two doors were replaced by one door in the center; new pews, pulpit, furniture, and carpet were installed at a cost of $400.00.

 



In the early part of the 20th century, the members of Mt. Zion, under the ministry of Rev. Harvey Bickel, decided to build a new brick church which is still in use today. 

 

On June 8, 1909, groundbreaking services were held. On June 26, 1910, a dedication service was held. The entire cost of the building was $6,106.92.
 


On July 18, 1937, Mt. Zion dedicated a new two manual Mollar pipe organ at a cost of $2000.00.  The organ is still in use today.




Organists of Mt. Zion

During the early part of the 20th century Mrs. Effie Beam played the old fashioned "pump" organ, for a number of years , followed by Almeda Paxton. In 1937, Mt. Zion installed the current pipe organ.  Mrs. Nelle Beam became the full time organist upon the retirement of Miss Paxton. In 1969, when Nelle retired,  Jim Beam became the full time organist and served until his retirement in 2012.

  

 


 

On August 3, 1952, ground breaking services were held for a new education building, under the ministry of Rev. Robert H. Sternat.  On April 26, 1953, a formal dedication service was held.

August 12, 2020

Worship Times

9:00 am - 10:00 am

 OR

10:30 am - 11:30 am

 

Click HERE to see our Weekly Schedule

 

 

 

Weekly Bible Study:


Every Wednesday:


Ground Oak at 9:00 am

       Mt. Zion at 6:30 pm



 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

Members Login



Who's Online

Last month August 2020 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 31 1
week 32 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
week 33 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
week 34 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
week 35 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
week 36 30 31